There
is much to share, as always, but my goal for this post is to practice a bit of
thrift of word. Since I last wrote (before posting the article), I have hiked Volcan
Imbabura with some wild elementary school kids and a couple of scrappy dogs,
helped translate for a group of medical students and doctors from University of
Florida who came to our community on a medical brigade, participated in the
facilitator training for the Alternatives
to Violence Project, helped to start a theological discussion and
ritual space at the Casa Trans in
Quito, had a really lovely visit with my friend Whittney from the States, went
to see
Manu Chao and Calle 13 in
concert in Quito, participated in two ritual baths for the Spring Equinox, and
made some really fun new Ecuadoran friends who have taken me to a waterfall, a
museum in a cave, a lake, and some thermal pools. This past weekend, I climbed
up to the first glacier on Cotopaxi volcano--one of the highest active volcanoes in the world!
It was really an experience to touch snow on the equator. On Sunday, I went on
the ciclopaseo with some friends in
Quito. Every Sunday, the city closes certain main roads and rents
bikes along the way for folks to jaunt around. It is really fun, and certainly
makes Quito feel smaller. Other than my research, my main occupation lately has
been working a lot with the women's jewelry-making collective in my community—Sumak
Muyo. I have been participating a little as a fellow artisan by making some
necklaces, but mostly working on the marketing side of things. On that note, please
check out our new facebook page! (Feel
free to “like” it or share it, too!) More on all this below.
 |
| ciclopaseando |
 |
| Hiking Imbabura |
 |
| a straggler on the hike |
The
hike up Imbabura was with Mary's host-dad, Oswaldo, and his students from his
one-room schoolhouse nestled way up in the cold, foggy flanks of the Imbabura
volcano. It took us over 2 hours just to get there, and this is a commute that
he does every single day, to go teach a handful of students of all ages. We
arrived and the students already had a head-start on us, impatient to get up
the mountain. The kids scrambled up the steep path ahead of us in no time,
while I slowly lumbered behind, but they thankfully responded to the yell for
them to come back towards us after a few hours, once the impenetrable fog
rolled in. We shared a feast of government-issue school snacks at the top, and tumbled
back down.
 |
| at the top, in the fog, eating government snacks |
|
|
|
I have talked about
the Alternatives to Violence Project in past posts, when I did the basic and
advanced trainings. The website I linked above also has good information on the
project itself, so I won’t say much about that. But the facilitator training
was a really great experience, and I am so excited to serve as a facilitator in
the future! I am hoping I can connect with some women’s prisons in the States
to facilitate AVP trainings there, among other contexts. It really feels like
such a good fit for my passions and talents, and is just so practical, which
appeals to me. I feel like so often I am passionately but impractically opining
about justice, and this model offers specific, effective tools to bring about
paradigm shifts in how people see and experience violence on all
levels—personal, familial, structural. It’s really exciting and hopeful for me
to be involved in this global movement of passionate volunteers!
Another exciting
project recently was working with Monica to help open a theological space at
the Casa Trans in Quito. Casa Trans is a residential community for transgender
individuals in Quito, and does a lot of activism around gender and sexuality in
Ecuador. With our theological training, Monica and I had the delightful
opportunity to facilitate an inaugural space for Queer theological dialogue and
spiritual reflection at the house. We actually used a lot of the participatory
activities we learned in our AVP trainings, and were just generally open to
hearing from the group about what their visions were for the space. It was a
really positive experience, and very moving to hear about the personal
spiritual journeys of all those present. I was struck once again by how much
human beings seem to hunger for spiritual meaning and expression, and how much
repressive religious spaces and traditions can’t take that hunger away from
people, even if they do leave them confused and hurt.
Obviously Whittney’s
visit could be a post of its own, but the brief summary is that she came for 5
days, and in that time we covered a lot of ground. The morning after she
arrived, we took a bus to Santo Domingo, plunging down into the hot greenery
from the cool heights of the Andes. We headed out to an Indigenous community
near Santo Domingo, called Chihuilpe. There we met Henry, a Tsáchila leader
and musician who works pretty tirelessly to preserve their endangered culture.
There are only about 3,000 Tsáchilas left at this point, spread between 8
different communities. The time we spent in the community was admittedly a bit
random, but included a nice guided walk with Henry, painting ourselves with the
seed that the Tsáchilas traditionally use to make ceremonial black marks on
their bodies, a cleansing ritual with the shaman--Don Manuel, and a slightly
sleepless night enveloped in mosquito netting and humidity, with unidentified (and
heavy) creatures scurrying across the tin roof all night. The next morning, Don Manuel conducted
a traditional “sauna” of sorts for us with medicinal plants, we drank some
instant coffee, and we headed off.
 |
| Henry painting my wrist with the seed |
 |
| Don Manuel, the shaman |
 |
| the seed that makes black dye |
We caught an 8-hour
bus to the coast. It was a beautiful ride to take during the day, to see the
many topographies and microclimates roll by, spilling out beside us as if from
a spool of multicolored thread. We arrived in Puerto Lopez in the evening and found
a cute hostel where we showered and left our backpacks before heading out to
enjoy some cold juice on the beach and coming home early to read in bed.
(Obviously Whitt and I together really bring out each others' inner party
animal). The next day we took a tour to Isla de la Plata (known a bit
ironically as “the poor man’s Galapagos”). The tour consisted of a pleasant
boat ride to the island, a guided hike around the verdant island with our
friendly guide, a lot of Blue-footed Booby sightings, snorkeling, fresh
fruit, and far too much sun. On our second and final day on the coast, we
caught a bus and then hiked to Los Frailes beach, also part of the Machalilla national park. The hike was incredibly humid, but rewarded with some beautiful
beaches along the way, and a summit with cool breezes where birds flew below
your line of vision, and the brilliant cerulean sea swept out in all
directions, nearly blending with the bright blue sky. We swam in the warm waves
and assiduously tried to avoid further burning our crisp shoulders. I ran into
a friend from all the way up here in Cotacachi on the beach (a former volunteer
at Aya’s organic farm where I was teaching after-school English with Mary), and
we split a motor-rikshaw back to town with her and presumably her Ecuadorean
lover. That was really fun and worth the dollar. Back in town, Whittney and I ate an unhealthy dinner of arepas
(Colombian fried corn patties) and a crepe smothered in chocolate sauce and
homemade ice cream. Then we hopped on a bus.
 |
| one of the many landscapes on the ride to the coast |
 |
| approaching the Isla de la Plata |
 |
| the isla |
 |
| the famous "blue-footed booby" |
 |
| hiking to Los Frailes |
We took the overnight
bus back to Quito, slept for about an hour in the sitting room at our Quito
hostel, and then headed out to enjoy the day. We shopped at the artisan market,
took the TeleferiQo up Pichincha Volcano, and wandered around the historic
center of Quito. There, we ate more fried food. A name we considered giving
Whittney’s visit was “Tiff and Whitt’s tour of the fried foods of Ecuador.” It
was a great visit.
 |
| At the top of the TeleferiQo with Whitt |
Finally, I would like
to explain a little more about Sumak Muyo. This is a project that some of the
women in our community started a few years ago. They gather together in the
evenings to make jewelry out of natural materials, mostly seeds. Through the
funds raised by their collective project they have been able to build a
daycare/preschool for the community, among other important contributions. They
have a strong willingness to work, and there are a lot of other women they
could invite to make jewelry with them, if they had a stable clientele
base/demand. So Mary and I decided to work on marketing their jewelry, and are
currently looking into various options for that, including starting an Etsy
page. On Wednesday I went with one of the women to open her first bank account,
which we will use as the bank account for the group. It is pretty exciting! If
any of you have interest in buying some necklaces or other jewelry to support
the women, please let me know, and I would be happy to bring some jewelry with
me back to the States. While our Etsy page is under construction, you can see
some of the styles on the facebook page I linked above. I will be taking more
photos and adding them in the next few weeks. Feel free to request a specific
style or color!
There is more to say,
as always, but for now, I leave you with some more photos. Next update: Semana
Santa! (Holy Week)
 |
| pancake party for Mishary's birthday |
 |
| Ritual bath for the Spring Equinox |
 |
| me at Laguna Mojanda |
 |
| Volcan Cotopaxi |
 |
| snow on the equator! |
Thank you for the beautiful photographs and reflections! Can't wait to see you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the news and the photos.I miss Ecuador. You do greater justice to this fascinating country then I have done.
ReplyDelete