I just returned from a
whirlwind weeklong tour of southern Ecuador, which I will write about in my
next post, but first I wanted to share a bit about Semana Santa (Holy Week)
here in Cotacachi. Holy Week is very important culturally throughout Latin
America, but for me this year I was struck by how unreligious the whole thing
seemed, at least in a strict sense of the word “religious.” We did not attend
mass once, and there did not seem to be much internalizing of the story of Holy
Week. There were religious processions throughout the week, and a dramatic
reenactment of the passion in the town square, but that was combined with a
commercial fair for promoting leather products and other local businesses, and
Magui spent almost the whole time cooking and selling food as part of that
fair. I found myself contemplating both the story of Jesus casting
money-changers out of the temple, as well as my conviction that the distinction
between sacred and profane is a false dichotomy. I certainly think we do a
disservice to ourselves if we refuse to recognize the sacred in the everyday,
even in the more “profane” aspects of the quotidian, such as economic
transactions. But there was something decidedly uncomfortable for me about the
commercial aspect of Holy Week in Cotacachi. It was a really positive week overall,
however, and the importance of family and tradition was abundantly clear.
 |
| making Fanesca |
|
|
There is a tradition
of making a soup called Fanesca during Holy Week, particularly on Thursday. I
got the opportunity to participate in the whole laborious process at Magui’s
house, starting Thursday morning. It is made with approximately 12 ingredients,
now said to be in honor of the 12 apostles. Many people think that making
Fanesca is an earlier Indigenous tradition that was later syncretized with the
Christian tradition of celebrating Holy Week, but the origins of Fanesca are unknown. In this spring season here in the
northern Andes, the corn and beans are still fresh and young, but are just
starting to be dried for use throughout the summer, [for example, the dried
corn will be used to make the traditional fermented corn beverage (chicha) for
Inti Raymi (the summer solstice and festival of the sun) in June]. Fanesca
makes use of all these fresh, tender beans and grains, incorporating chochos
(lupine beans), habas (fava beans), choclo (sweet corn), zapallo (squash), mellocos
(a small, soft tuber), and arvejas (peas), among others. The soup is
traditionally garnished with a hardboiled egg, fried plantains, little fried
bread dough balls, avocado, and cheese. It is also generally made with salt
cod, added towards the end, and often optional. I found the introduction to
this recipe for Fanesca to be a good description! Anyway, Magui’s fanesca of
course turned out fabulously, and we got to enjoy it by around 1:30 pm. I
wasn’t there from the very beginning, but I think the whole process started
around 6 am, and so took about 7 hours.
 |
Habas, ready for us to peel
|
 |
| Fanesca! |
It is a very thick
hearty soup, so I went home and napped after that, and was awoken by a surprise
invitation (most invitations here are surprises, in that nothing is ever really
planned ahead) to go visit Rodrigo’s mom way up by Lake Cuicocha. I sleepily
stumbled downstairs and we all piled into the truck—probably about 14 of us.
There we had another version of Fanesca, made my Rodrigo’s mother, and all sat
around the fire eating. We stayed until late into the night, talking, laughing,
and eating. That night I really felt home with my family here. Especially as we
drove back down to Calera in the cold rainy night, and I held the sleeping
Kairik on my lap, it felt like a family trip with my biological family. I
remembered myself as little Kairik, soundly asleep in the warm car with my
family, on the way back from some long event. Only now I was the one caring for
a sleeping child.
Friday morning we woke
up early and Inés went to work on getting me ready for the day. That is to say,
she dressed me up in an anaku, the
traditional outfit of Indigenous women in this area. She had announced her plan
to do so for Viernes Santo (Good
Friday) a few days earlier, and it would be a lie to say that I did not assent
with delight. I had been secretly hoping someone would ask me to wear an anaku all along. She helped me slip the
silky embroidered blouse over my head, wrapped the double woolen skirts around
my waist, fastened them with a tightly wound, wide red sash—the mama faja—topped with a thinner sash
that matched my blouse. She tied a wool fachalina
(shawl) around my shoulders, wound my ponytail up tightly in a cinta (embroidered ribbon), and wrapped
my wrists in coral beaded manillas,
which are meant to protect the women. Traditionally, they were made of real
coral, but now they are just reddish beads. We put on my walka (gold necklace) and gold earrings, and my alpargates, and I was ready to go.
 |
| in my anaku |
 |
| with my family at the cemetery |
All dressed up, we
went to the cemetery in Cotacachi to sit at Inés’ family plot with some of her siblings. Like
on the Day of the Dead, we had food with us, and people would come by with
little plates of food for us, and we would give them something in return, often
bread and bananas. After a bit, we left, and started walking around to watch
the religious processions. At that point, I lost my family, and ended up
spending the rest of the day with various friends. Overall it was a really fun
day, and I really enjoyed being dressed up elegantly in anaku. Multiple people stopped me on the street to tell me how
beautiful I looked and asked to take a photo with me, which I obliged, so there
are a few strangers out there with photos of themselves with a gringa in an anaku. I suppose that is not something that one sees everyday here.
I stayed in Cotacachi into the evening to see the nighttime processions with
the saints. My (Indigenous) friend Paúl’s perspective on that spectacle was
that it made him uncomfortable because it felt like an ongoing display of
colonialism. He pointed out that the only people you see laboring under these
heavy wooden saints are Indigenous, and that he felt like symbolically it
reminded him that the Indigenous are still oppressed by the legacy of
colonialism and divorced from their own culture and religious traditions that
were forceably taken from them. I thought his analysis of the symbolic aspect
of this tradition was really insightful, and I was reminded in that moment that
the actor who played Jesus in the reenactment of the passion earlier in the day
had also been quite White.
 |
| reenactment of the Passion |
 |
| processions |
On Saturday Mary and I
went to the sprawling Otavalo Market for one last shopping trip to pick up
sentimental things for ourselves and gifts for others. I am most happy about
the coral beaded manillas that I
bought for myself, which I have been wearing ever since. They are supposed to
protect you, and when I look at my wrists, and think of all the Ecuadorean
Indigenous women whom I have come to love, who wear these beads around their
wrists everyday, I really do feel a sense of protection and solidarity with
them.
In contrast with the
U.S., Easter Sunday itself was basically a non-event. Inés’ mother had surgery
on Saturday for appendicitis, and we went to visit her in the hospital in the
morning. Other than that, Mary and I brought a little of our own celebration to
La Calera. We made the kids an Easter basket, and had planned an Easter egg
hunt, but it was pouring all day, so we abandoned that idea in favor of simply
letting them paw through the basket in search of treasures. We found a basket
in Magui’s outdoor kitchen, cleaned it up, filled it with fresh grass,
stickers, notebooks, crayons, Clementine oranges, hardboiled eggs, mini bananas
(called oritos), mini apples, and little candies. The kids loved it, especially
the stickers and the notebooks.
 |
| kids with the Easter basket |
Thanks for the beautiful photographs and descriptions! I can't wait to hear more soon and in person!
ReplyDelete