Hello Everyone!
I know I have not written in quite awhile,
and so of course there is even more than ever to update about, but I will just
give y’all a sweeping summary, and then am committed to more regular updates in
the coming months. Since I last wrote I have been all over the place and back
again. I have had three lovely visitors: Catherine, Ben, and Julie. I went to
the 12th Encuentro Feminista Latinoamericano y del Caribe in Bogotá, Colombia, where I
spent my birthday and Thanksgiving. I spent almost a month in government
ministry offices trying to get my visa paperwork sorted out. I also went home
to California for 2 brief weeks, and stopped off in Chile for my cousin’s
wedding on my way back to Ecuador.
Now I am back here. And starting a whole new chapter of my
time in Ecuador. The past months I
have been splitting my time between the capital city of Quito and a small
village about three hours away (La Calera). I have come to know that bus ride
very well! In Quito I have been primarily devoting my time to a course in
Kichwa language and culture at FLACSO (university), through the anthropology
department. I also have found some mentors--a radical retired UCC missionary couple that has
lived in Ecuador for over 50 years. Once a week I had been going over
to their house for an hour of intentional reflection time, and
then a shared lunch where the conversation always continued, sometimes
for a couple of hours! I also have participated in two 20-hour trainings
through the Quaker-based Alternatives to Violence Project. I have now
completed the basic and advanced trainings, and will be participating in
the facilitator's training in February, with the hope to facilitate
trainings in the village. In the village I have been living with an Indigenous family and
getting to know the community as much as possible. I have been meeting with the
leaders in the local area who work in the areas of community development,
broadly speaking. I have also been able to observe and participate in many
workshops, lectures, and religious festivals that have been very helpful for my
research.
Now that I
am back in Ecuador, I have moved full-time to the village. I am hoping to put
my fledgling Kichwa to work a bit, and have actually just begun another
introductory course in Kichwa at the nearby University of Otavalo. I have begun
participating in a women's organization in a nearby town where I will be doing
my sustained research and interviews. I also have brainstormed lots of other
projects with my friends in the village, and look forward to putting those into
practice.
The primary
challenge so far in my experience is implicit in what I have already described:
not spending as much time in La Calera as I had originally hoped, and therefore
not having the kind of sustained fieldwork that I had planned to have already
at this point. This is primarily because of my decision to take the Kichwa
class in Quito and because I had a very long and frustrating process with waiting
for the university to process the paperwork for my affiliation as a researcher,
and thus the needed documentation for my visa. In total, I spent multiple weeks
stuck in Quito just trying to wade through that process. Thankfully, that is now resolved! Overall, I have
been really pleased with my past 3 months, and grateful! I loved living in Quito, and all the really great friends who I met there. However, I am really looking
forward to more sustained living in La Calera for the duration of my time
in Ecuador. As I adjust to a new pace of life here in this smaller community, I
am designating one day per week to be devoted entirely to writing and reading,
so I hope to send out shorter and more frequent updates about my research and
life adventures.
As for all
the adventures I have missed out on writing to y’all about, I know some of you
have heard about them from me, and others will have to wait for in-person
story-telling. In the meantime, I hope this smattering of photos helps fill in
the gaps!
With
ongoing gratitude for your support and kindness,
Tiffany
 |
| Dia de los Difuntos (Magui sharing food) |
 |
| The cemetery in Quiroga on the Day of the Dead |
 |
| Guaguas de Pan traditionally made for Day of the Dead |
 |
| Eating and drinking with deceased family members |
 |
| Quito as seen from the top of the Basilica del Voto Nacional |
 |
| Canoa beach |
 |
| Canoa |
 |
| Sunset in Canoa |
 |
| Ben and me, hiking Pichincha Volcano with our new Venezuelan friend, Eduardo |
|
 |
Ben and me, biking in Baños
|
 |
| Taking a break from our bike ride to look at some waterfalls |
 |
| Museo de Oro (Gold Museum) in Bogota |
 |
| Botero Museum in Bogota |
 |
| Opening ritual at the Encuentro Feminista |
 |
| What is your contribution to writing a hi/story without violence against women? |
 |
| march for Day of Nonviolence Against Women, on last day of conference |
 |
| Music on the streets of Bogota |
 |
| Cartagena, Colombia: the walled city |
 |
| Michelle and I hosted belated Thanksgiving in Quito! (Pilgrim Trolls courtesy of her mom) |
 |
| helping with an after-school English class in El Batan |
 |
| Last views of Ecuador for 2011: Cotopaxi Volcano from the plane |
 |
| Christmas hike at home in California |
 |
| graffiti near Pablo Neruda's Santiago house |
 |
| Here Comes the Bride (in southern Chile) |
 |
| Married! |
 |
| Brother and me at wedding reception |
 |
| Valaparaiso, Chile |
 |
| Valpo street art |
 |
| Valparaiso (Valpo) |
 |
| Valpo (can you tell I fell a little in love with the city?) |
 |
| Harbor in Valpo |
 |
| Napa Rui museum in Viña del Mar |
 |
| Valparaiso |
 |
| Isla Negra (Pablo Neruda's house) I made a pilgrimage to all three of his houses in Chile! |
Tiffany,
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing your journey in photos and words! Blessings and prayers these coming months. I look forward to the next time our paths cross.
blessings, Thandiwe